Memory Care Community Enrichment Specialist
Cathedral Square – Memory Care at Allen Brook, Williston VT
This position is part of the Vermont Housing & Conservation Board AmeriCorps (VHCB AmeriCorps). The VHCB AmeriCorps program supports the innovative dual-goal approach to creating stable affordable housing opportunities for Vermont residents while preserving the natural and working landscape. VHCB AmeriCorps is a national service program that places members with non-profit housing or land and energy conservation organizations around the state.
The MCAB Community Enrichment Specialist is responsible for enhancing resident quality of life through the development and presentation of programing for our Memory Care residents. The CE Specialist will engage and connect with our community members, enhancing their functioning, social interaction, and expression. The Specialist assists resident volunteers in the provision of activities and programs developed by the Programing Coordinator. They serve in partnership with the Programing Coordinator to design programing on a monthly basis.
- Creates and Administers Resident Community Enrichment Program:
- Meets, develops a relationship, and creates a profile with each resident to determine their interests and best method of connectivity.
- Designs the activities program on a monthly basis utilizing information obtained from each resident’s interest profile with the Programing Coordinator.
- Implements the designed community enrichment programing in conjunction with volunteers.
- Plans events and programing for residents, both within facility and off-site, based on resident input and interest and need with our Programing Coordinator.
- Communicates with the Programing Coordinator about our need for supplies and volunteer material needs.
- Maintains the programing materials storage area in a neat and organized manner. Picks up supplies after each activity and returns furniture to its original position.
- Develops a Sense of Community for Residents and Environment of Caring:
- Provide social visits with residents, individually and in groups.
- Participates in resident meetings as needed.
- Promotes positive sense of community with residents by presenting a friendly, social and caring environment within Memory Care at Allen Brook.
- Listens and directly engages with residents to determine interests and strategies to enhance connections and facilitate community engagement.
- Provides Transportation Needs for Residents
- Provides escort services to medical appointments as necessary, in taxi or company vehicle
- Assists in escorting residents on field trips and outings.
- Participates in regular meetings and communicates with the care team regarding resident activities, programs, and individual comfort/interest
- Collaborates with PC to publish monthly a programing calendar to resident population.
- Informs Memory Care staff immediately of any observed physical concerns.
- Documents monthly resident participation in group and or individual social and recreational programs.
- Participate in an Independent Service Project under the guidance of VHCB AmeriCorps
- Participate in VHCB AmeriCorps Trainings, Service Days, Events, and Program Initiatives.
- Engage in professional and personal development activities and networking opportunities.
- Attends CSC and MCAB staff meetings.
- Communicates in a positive and respectful manner with residents, co-workers visitors and family members.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the mission and values of CSC.
- Demonstrates respectful and effective communication with co-workers, residents, families and vendors.
- Protects the privacy and confidentiality of information related to residents, families, staff and general CSC operations.
- Communicates a positive image about CSC to the community.
- Behaves in a safe manner by adhering to all safety practices, rules and standards throughout the service day.
- Demonstrates a commitment to quality and proactively seeks to make improvements to systems and processes.
- Maintains a professional appearance that is appropriate for their position.
- Reports on time, provides advance notice for time away
- Demonstrates a commitment to integrity in service habits and use of CSC resources.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent GED.
- Preference for minimum of an Associate’s Degree in a related field with at least two years’ prior experience working with elders. Previous experience in working with individuals with Dementia is preferred.
- A working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Microsoft Publisher is a plus.
- Be US citizen or have permanent resident status;
- Be at least 18 years of age upon entering the Pre-Service Orientation or 17 years of age with verified parental permission;
- Be a high school graduate, have a GED certificate, or be willing to work towards a GED as part of the service-term. A member cannot have dropped out of high school to join AmeriCorps.
- Has not been convicted of murder or sexual assault and is willing to undergo a National Service Criminal History Check;
- Be committed to the VHCB AmeriCorps program’s ethic of service and personal and professional development of its participants;
- Have the ability and enthusiasm to drive to, attend, and participate in all required trainings and events, and be prepared to drive up to 2-3 hours each way.
- Available to regularly serve 40 hours per week
This position is located at a 14 unit housing site dedicated to serving persons with memory impairment. Service hours frequently occur on evenings and weekends, often between the hours of 1 pm and 8 pm.
Position begins March 2nd, 2020 and ends August 28th, 2020
This position is Half Time: Requires 900 hours for an average of 40 hours per week for 26 weeks. Member will receive a living allowance of $10,800 (pre-tax), and an education award of $3,047.50 (pre-tax) upon successful completion of service. Other benefits include health insurance, federal school loan forbearance, and various training and networking opportunities.
This position does have recurring access to vulnerable populations (youth, persons over 60, individuals with disabilities).
For questions about this position or to send additional materials:
Maria Rainville, Manager Memory Care at Allen Brook
99 Allen Brook Lane, Williston, VT 05495
(802) 859-8885 or email@example.com
Application deadline: February 18th, 2020
Additional information on AmeriCorps is available at www.americorps.org.
The Vermont Housing & Conservation Board (VHCB) is sponsoring this AmeriCorps position through their AmeriCorps Program. VHCB is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Positions are open to all applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnicity, disability, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, political affiliation, veteran’s status, religion or creed.