Ruggles House, a shared housing environment, is a historic building in the hill section of Burlington. Housekeeping, resident service coordination and on-site property management are a few of the many amenities offered at Ruggles House. Ruggles House is a unique shared housing community designed for adults 55 and older who want to remain socially active and independent.
This Victorian mansion, built in the 1800s, was expanded by a lumber baron who made it his family home. Set back from the street in a quiet residential neighborhood near the University of Vermont, Champlain College and UVM Medical Center, Ruggles House is surrounded by well-tended lawns, flower and vegetable gardens. The peaceful interior is enhanced by French doors surrounding sunlit parlors, exotic woods, parquet floors and intricately decorated fireplaces.
Appointed with unique furnishings and family antiques, Ruggles House is beautiful with a warm and welcoming atmosphere. Designed with affordability in mind, Ruggles House offers a range of rental rates designed to meet the needs of seniors with a variety of incomes.
This property offers tax-credit and market-rate homes and some subsidized apartments. Ruggles House also accepts Section 8 vouchers and is a SASH location, with an on-site SASH coordinator. To be eligible for consideration you need to apply to Cathedral Square and Burlington Housing Authority.
- 15 efficiency apartments with kitchenettes and private baths
- Secured entry
- Located near downtown Burlington, Champlain College, the University of Vermont and UVM Medical Center
- Discounted cable rates
- Utilities included in rent except telephone, cable television and internet service
- Some rooms with views of the mountains, fireplaces or historical details
- Neighborhood garden space
- On-site SASH coordinator
- 24-hour maintenance emergency system
- Historic common rooms with fireplaces
- Laundry facilities
- On Green Mountain Transit bus line
- Weekly wellness nurse visits
- Housekeeping and laundry services
- Smoke-free housing