Speak Up for Affordable Housing
Join Cathedral Square and advocates from around the state in sending the message to lawmakers that we value affordable housing for all. There are two upcoming opportunities to help us amplify this message:
1. Testify at the Public Hearing on Housing on Feb. 16
The Vermont Senate Committee on Economic Development, Housing, and General Affairs and the House Committee on General and Housing will hold a joint public hearing on Thursday, February 16, 2023 starting at 5:00 PM. Register to testify for up to 3 minutes about the importance of investing in affordable housing for older Vermonters and those with disabilities.
Some ideas to help you frame your testimony:
- If you are a Cathedral Square resident, let the committees know how much you have benefited from having quality, affordable housing with the SASH® model – and ask them to provide more opportunities for older Vermonters and those with diverse needs to obtain affordable housing that meets their needs.
- If you are an older Vermonter currently looking for housing, let the committees know what barriers you face – such as the lack of affordable housing that allows you to remain independent in your community.
- If you are a concerned citizen, let the committees know that you value inclusive communities and more affordable housing for all helps realize that vision.
Important! When you sign up, please do not sign up as speaking for Cathedral Square. That’s reserved for the Board or staff.
Reach out to Natalie Glynn if you have questions or want any assistance!
A livestream of the hearing will be available to watch here.
2. Join Us for VT Housing & Conservation Coalition Legislative Day on Feb. 17
Join us in Montpelier on Friday, February 17th for the Vermont Housing and Conservation Coalition (VHCC) Legislative Day at the State House – a day when affordable-housing and conservation supporters come together to champion the projects supported by Vermont Housing and Conservation Board (VHCB) funding. Those projects include Cathedral Square housing communities and initiatives to support our residents.
Legislators need to hear from you – residents who benefit from the housing and programs of Cathedral Square and SASH – about how VHCB-funded projects are helping solve some of Vermont’s most pressing issues. Together, our partnership with VHCB helps fight homelessness, improves water quality, creates affordable housing, supports downtown development, protects Vermont’s priceless landscape, and promotes rural economic development, including working farms and the forest economy.
Learn more about the day and register here.