Built in two phases and fully opened in 2013, Thayer House offers 69 apartments for adults 55 and older. Thayer House is located adjacent to the Ethan Allen Shopping Center, which offers a grocery store, restaurants, a hardware store, post office, medical services and other features. It is three miles from downtown Burlington and a short walk from the Burlington bike path, which offers stunning views of Lake Champlain and the Adirondack Mountains. The Heineberg Community & Senior Center is close by, offering many social and recreational activities.
Thayer House is a SASH® location, with a full-time SASH coordinator and part-time wellness nurse. It offers tax-credit and market-rate homes and some subsidized apartments, and like all Cathedral Square properties, accepts Section 8 vouchers. Applicants must apply to both Cathedral Square and the Vermont State Housing Authority.
- 63 one-bedroom and six two-bedroom apartments
- Located within walking distance of shopping center with grocery store and pharmacy, Burlington bike path, Catholic church, post office and medical offices
- All utilities included in rent except telephone, internet and cable TV; discounted cable rates available
- On-site SASH coordinator, with a part-time wellness nurse and social, educational and recreational programming
- Large common room with fireplace and kitchen
- Central air conditioning
- Hair Salon
- Exercise room
- Underground and on-site parking
- Laundry facilities on each floor
- Secured entry
- On Green Mountain Transit bus line; SSTA transportation available
- 24-hour emergency maintenance
Residents must be 55 or older. For a tax-credit apartment, the maximum annual household income is $35,580 for one person or $44,100 for two. For a subsidized apartment, which caps rent at 30% of income, the maximum annual household income is $38,580 for one person or $44,100 for two. (These are the 2020 limits.) Section 8 portable vouchers, which also cap rent at 30% of income, are welcome for all other apartments.
From I-89 take Exit 14W and follow signs for downtown Burlington, continuing on Main Street toward Lake Champlain. Turn right on Battery Street. Turn left at the fourth traffic light onto North Avenue. Continue down North Avenue, past Burlington High School and the Ethan Allen Shopping Center. Thayer House is on the left, just past the Ethan Allen Shopping Center.
- Independent Living
- Market RateSubsidizedTax Credit
- 2 Bedrooms1 Bedroom
- 51-75 homes