Located just off Route 15 in Essex Junction, Whitcomb Terrace is next door to Whitcomb Woods and minutes from the Fanny Allen campus of the UVM Medical Center and St. Michael’s College. The apartments at Whitcomb Terrace provide people of all ages and incomes the opportunity to live in housing that meets accessible design standards, also known as barrier-free or universal design the goal is to maximize the flexibility of the space to benefit all residents regardless of their physical abilities. This community is open to all ages, with preference given to people with mobility impairments.
Opened in 2005, Whitcomb Terrace is a SASH® location, with a full-time SASH coordinator and part-time wellness nurse. It offers tax-credit and market-rate homes as well as some subsidized apartments. Section 8 portable vouchers may be used for apartments that are not already subsidized. Applicants must apply to both Cathedral Square and the Vermont State Housing Authority.
- 19 fully accessible one- and two-bedroom apartments
- Roll-in showers and adjustable-height kitchen counters
- Located near churches, shopping centers, medical providers and banks; 10 minutes from downtown Burlington and the University of Vermont Medical Center
- All utilities included in rent except telephone, internet and cable TV; discounted cable rates available
- On-site SASH coordinator, with a part-time wellness nurse and social, educational and recreational programming
- Common room with kitchen and accessible patio
- Laundry facilities on each floor
- Elevator with foot pad
- Secured entry
- Housekeeping services available for an additional fee
- 24-hour emergency maintenance
Applicants under age 62 who require full accessibility (DMV hang tag or plate required) receive preference. Income restrictions apply to some apartments.
From I-89 northbound, take Exit 15 (Winooski and Essex Junction) and bear right onto Route 15. Continue past St. Michael’s College, Fort Ethan Allen on your left. After the intersection with Susie Wilson Road, turn right onto West Street at the next traffic light. Turn left at the stop sign. Whitcomb Terrace is on the right.
- Independent Living
- SubsidizedTax CreditMarket Rate
- 1 Bedroom2 Bedrooms
- 0-25 homes
- All Ages